Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sunset Fail 2

Gravel crunched under the civic's tires as we pulled into the small roadside parking lot. I quickly assembled my photo stuff and we set off in search of the trail.



Fortunately we had more luck identifying this location than Jade Cove as there aren't many beaches decorated with waterfalls. We skirted the edge of a cliff overlooking the waterfall from above and several hundred feet away. I've come to learn that each waterfall is unique in how it chooses to reach the ground. Some tumble over hundreds of small boulders, some slide down chutes formed in the rock, but this one simply poured elegantly from the cliff, resembling a stream of water issued from the spout of a tea kettle more than anything. The small cove housing the fall had one entrance into which the sea surged rhythmically, fanning to meet the beach. The waves never touched the bottom of the cascade in the sand. We took a minute to remember why we were here and started shooting some photos of the beautiful sight.






At some point this little bird flew in to hang out with us. He would let you try to pet him, but then he'd peck at you. He probably expected food, and since we had none he eventually took off.





The sun crept closer to the horizon resulting in more moody lighting.


We figured we should get a photo of the two of us at sunset. For some reason Pri decided the camera and tripod should be about 2miles from where we would stand for the photo. So I had to run to where she stood after pressing the shutter (I forgot to buy a remote before leaving). We got a few photos of each other, and one photo of the two of us. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough, and as a result I'm awkwardly crouching in what would turn out to be the only photo of us with the setting sun. When I ran back to the camera to reset it, I noticed that there was a piece of dust somewhere in the camera which was causing an ugly mark in all the photos. While I tried to clean it real fast, and while Pri stood there waving her arms around not paying attention, the sun actually set. The only photo of the two of us was therefore taken about 30 seconds after the sun retired for the night.









We took some more photos in the lingering twilight, then headed out as darkness finally descended. I realized at some point that the dust was still in my camera, so unfortunately some of my favorite photos are marred until I fix them in Photoshop. Luckily Pri was able to get the dust out so not all of the shots require touch-up.


















[adam]

3 comments:

  1. This is so childish but totally necessary:

    It looks like the cliff is peeing!

    p.s. I LOVE the pic of the tree and the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i agree with cat, i didn't want to be the one to say it.

    it looks like something out of neverland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think these are my favorite pictures so far....i mean, they are ALL breathtaking, but there's something about these ones that are just...magical for me. This is just AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete